Society

Life provides us with a great range of opportunities and it's up to us whether we decide to take them or not. 

I'm currently at university and it seems to be the thing that whilst you are at university, you must be a member of a society. Okay, so I'm a member of the Law society and the Student Minds society and I occasionally go the the kick boxing society, which is great, but they aren't necessarily the traditional societies. I suppose it's seen that sports societies or those with more meet ups and nights out are the ones I should be joining because "you only get to experience university once!".

There are so many societies out there and many of them I am interested in, but I just can't bring myself to join them. For example, I'd love to do rowing, but the last time I tried to go to the meet and greet I had a panic attack and couldn't cycle there. I've never been a fan of clubs and I have never been comfortable with them either. I've always wanted to leave. I know that it's a good thing to put on your CV and I'd probably have fun, but the overriding anxiety just isn't going to help me go anywhere fast. 

Perhaps one day, I will join a society properly and it will make me truly happy. The problem is that you always think that you're missing out on so many memories and so much fun, but if I am not comfortable and happy, I'm not going to do it just because it's perceived the right thing to do. I'd rather make my time at university a happy one, then one that I dread. The same applies to any opportunity in your life. I know we all have to do things we struggle with and things we don't want to do, but at the end of the day, happiness is the aim.

Amy Xx