Everything is on your terms

I find as an anxiety sufferer, that we often think of the worst that can happen and how out of control things could become. This is the nature of the illness. And even though there are things we cannot change, such as the time, family and weather, there are billions of things that can be changed and can be controlled.

At the height of my anxiety, I felt a severe lack of control with the thought that I had no capability at doing anything and everything would go wrong. However, as of the past year I have taken a different outlook. I have understood and practiced that everything is on my terms and it helps me to stay in control and for my anxiety to reduce. For example, if I am in a driving lesson and I want to end it, I can simply state that. If I am working in the charity shop and I feel an urgency to leave, I can ask, if I am on a bus, I can get off and If I am at a party and want to leave, I can get a taxi home. It's all about understanding that in every situation, you have the ability and right to do what you want to do to make yourself most comfortable and to know you are empowered to make these decisions (to the extent of not hurting those around you of course!) I think if you wake up everyday with the understanding that you are in control of whatever comes your way, you will be able to reduce the anxiety and this is what I keep in mind all of the time. Why not try it? In fact, this particular picture is stuck on my wall to remind me!

Amy Xx