#2 Uni-life: Applying

The second post in the university series!

When my teachers first started to explain ucas to me and all of the things I had to do, admittedly I thought my head was going to explode. However, as you move through the process it's not as bad as it first looks. 

Writing you personal statement
These are the documents that teachers repeat the importance of, time and again. Don't get me wrong, some personal statements will change the outcome of your university choice, but then again, some universities don't read it. I found this the most stressful part, but if you break it down into chunks then it isn't so bad. It may take some time, but please try not to stress too much over it; remember to take a step back and look from the outside in. It's sometimes helpful to focus on your own goals rather than reading all of these websites do's and don'ts as it may just panic you. Don't get me wrong, they are somewhat helpful, but there is only so much that can be taken in. 

You need an introduction; something which is interesting, a main body and a conclusion which generally explains how your academics and experience will suit the university and your course. With the main body, try to go through each of your A-levels (or equivalent), main work experience and extra curricular, by explaining how it suits the course and what you've gained from it. If it applies, you could also include a recent news article which shows your keeping up to date with what is going on in that academic area.

Choosing your universities.
This depends on what you're looking for. Try and make a list and go to some open days. I only went to three open days, and that was enough for me to decide. Some went to many more, but that's completely your choice. 

Now to play the waiting game.